Ahead of moving to full coeducation in September 2021, we have a number of developments in Boarding Life will take place in two distinct phases.
Stage 1: September 2019 - COMPLETED
September 2019 saw the introduction of separate boys’ and girls’ Houses, by converting existing buildings into three new girls’ Houses, initially the home for Specialist girls. This is alongside a continuous programme of improvements to the existing boys’ Houses and the introduction of additional resident staff in each House.
Two girls' Houses – Chetwynd and Sutton – will form within the existing, large Chetwynd Hall building. Fletcherites, currently the Sixth Form House, will also become a girls' House from September 2019.
Chetwynd Hall has become the home of the girls' Houses, Chetwynd and Sutton
|housemistresses for girls' houses FROM september 2019|
Central Dining - Completed
September 2019 saw the first phase of moving to open dining arrangements, which gave us the opportunity to upgrade our catering service and for pupils to mix informally and carry on conversations from the classroom, sports pitch or music practice. The Central Dining Rooms (CDR) were reconfigured into a large open plan facility where the ‘New Houses’ will take meals together. The Old Houses in the centre of the School will continue to take meals in their House dining rooms.
Stage 2: Opening of two new-build Houses in 2021
When Year 9 girls are welcomed to the School in 2021, we will be opening two brand new Boarding Houses, situated between Daviesites and the Ben Travers Theatre. Our vision is for Charterhouse to be a fully coeducational school and part of our thinking surrounds the layout of the Boarding Houses across the campus. We are keen that there are boys and girls living on both sides of the School, and that future investment in boarding facilities benefits both the boys and the girls. Therefore, one of the new Houses will be for boys and the other for girls.
- One House will become the fourth of the girls’ Houses, to be called Northbrook
- The other will be the new home of Saunderites, which will relocate over the summer of 2021. Suzanne Allen, the current Housemaster will remain at the helm and will lead the move across with the boys
- Sutton will move into the old Saunderites building in the centre of the School, with Chetwynd expanding to fill the whole of the Chetwynd Hall building
Fly through video of the new Houses
A 'fly through' video of one of the two (identical) new-build Houses is below, showing:
- Entrance Hall with House office
- Spacious double height common room leading out onto the garden courtyard
- A view of one of the en-suite single bedrooms (for Sixth Form pupils)
- The garden courtyard and landscaping
New dining arrangements - Central CAFÉ
The second phase of our move to open dining will see a new and airy café open in Scholar’s Court, also in September 2021. It will serve breakfast, lunch and homebill (supper) for those that board in the centre of the School (the Old Houses) and outside those times will be an informal working and social space for staff and pupils alike.
Timeline for Boarding Developments
You can view a copy of our 'Developing Boarding' brochure below.