Charterhouse take Bronze, Silver and Gold in the 2021-2022 Cadet Council for Rifle Shooting Commonwealth Matches.
The Shooting Teams have again been involved in National, School, and Cadet Matches this term, and we have all had a very busy but productive time: The new comers to the Team are doing very well and building on their skills, three pupils have represented England this term and two will represent the UK/GB in the Summer. The future looks very bright going forward.
In the Commonwealth Competitions postal matches, we had three teams in Ffennel A (small-bore Target Rifle): Charterhouse A (Max G and Max S-O, who scored his first 100/100 on a competition Target!) came second, winning CCRS Silver medals; B Team (Henry, Frederick, Lucas and George) came ninth, and in addition, the C Team (Alfred, Nouri, Jeremy and Dylan) came thirteenth.
Match F (6yds Air Rifle)
The A Team (Nicholas, Hermine, George, Max S-O) came third, receiving CCRS Bronze medals, the B Team fourth (Henry, Frederick, Max G, Alfred) and C Team seventh (Nouri, Jeremy, Hugh, and Lucas).
Due to Covid, only one team competed in Match G (Air Rifle 10 meters 3 positional) shot. Kneeling, prone and standing, coming first and winning CCRS Gold Medals: Max G, Mark, Lucas and George.
British Schools Small Bore Summer (BSSRA) League
A Team (Max, Hermine, Lucas, Max S-O, and George) came fourth in the Section 1 First Division in a closely fought match. Hermine and Max S-O were equal 'Top Shot’, both averaging 95.8 on the harder 10 bull targets.
B Team (Frederick, Henry, Alfred and Dylan) came fourth in Section Two, Division Two against some very good school teams. Dylan took the ‘Top Shot’ badge, averaging 97.5 on 5 bull targets.
C Team (Nouri, Sebastian, James, Louis) entered the leagues proper, also in Section Two for the first time, and came fifth overall. Louis took the ‘Top Shot’ badge with an astonishing average of 98.5 over 4x5 bull targets.
We also had three pupils (Max G from the D Team, Max S-O from the D Team and Hermine from the B Team) in the BSSRA National matches representing England against the home counties. The England teams won all the matches and Hermine was the 'Top Shot' over all, scoring an impressive 197/200, an epic achievement, with Max S-O a close second with 196/200 and Max Gerhardt scoring an solid194/200.
Target Rifle Club Matches
Another focus this term has been preparing, selecting and training the Full-Bore Team for the schools meeting in Ashburton in July. Scores obtained so far are as follows:
- The Clayton Challenge - Charterhouse A (Max S-O, Max G, Hermine and George) came second overall. This match is named after the Charterhouse teacher who was Master of Shooting here, when they last won the Ashburton in 1988. We were the first school to win it 13 times.
- The Surrey Rifle Association Cup - Charterhouse teams can fifth and twelfth.
- The Sawyer Cup - Max G was the 'Top Shot' and Charterhouse A (Max G, Max S-O, George and Lucas) came second. Charterhouse B were ninth (Frederick, Nouri. Henry, Alfred) and Max G was the Winner of The Grand Aggregate (all scores combined). Charterhouse A came second and Charterhouse B came ninth overall.
We are hoping to do well in the schools meeting in Ashburton from 10 July to 15 July. Max G, Nick, George, Max S-O, Lucas and Hermine are staying on at Bisley to compete in the NRA Imperial. Fingers crossed they all make it to the Queen's Final on 24July.
National Target Rifle Cadet Teams
Two of our Team members have been selected for National Target Rifle Cadet Teams:
- Max G is in the GB under 19 Squad which usually tours South Africa but (because of Covid) will compete against the Channel Island Teams on Guernsey in the summer.
- Max S-O has been selected for the British Cadet Rifle Team (The Athelings) which would usually go to Canada to compete against the Canadian Cadets and National Teams there but (again because of Covid) instead will leave on a Shooting Tour of Great Britain, shooting against all National Teams in August.
We wish them ‘Good Shooting!'