Girdlestoneites sits on an island site close to the main teaching buildings. It accommodates approximately sixty pupils. During their first two years, boys share double rooms, and from the Fifths (Year 11) they have single rooms. There is a sumptuous Victorian common room (known as the Writing School), a large storage room, a television room and a computer room/library. Matron’s flat is in the heart of the House. The House also has its own kitchen and wood-panelled dining room, donated by Girdlestone as his parting gift. Frederick Girdlestone (Old Carthusian) founded the House in 1874, having been associated with the School since 1853. He first became the Housemaster of Gownboys and on his move to Girdlestoneites persuaded a dozen Gownboys, including Robert Baden-Powell, to join him in his new House. The ‘Duck’, as he was affectionately known because of his peculiar gait (hence the commonly used name of the House: Duckites), retired in 1912.