Verites is one of the original three Victorian gothic ‘block houses’ at Charterhouse, purpose-built for the School’s move from London to its present site in Godalming in 1872. The glorious period architecture is complemented by the House’s magnificent position overlooking Green (1st XI cricket pitch), at the very heart of the School. Pupils in Verites enjoy the considerable advantage of being closest to Chapel, the Music Schools, Library, Hall, Brooke Hall (Masters’ Common Room), the 1st XI cricket and football pitches and many of the classrooms. Pupils in Verites eat all their meals in a splendid in-house Dining Room and the House can now accommodate over 70 pupils.
Unlike most of the other Houses at Charterhouse, Verites owes its name to the Housemaster of ‘Verites’ at Charterhouse in London, the Rev Oliver Walford, rather than to the original Housemaster in the School’s new 1872 location in Godalming (for Verites this was the Rev Thomas Vyvyan). Rev Walford was also the Usher, or Deputy Headmaster, in London and was known affectionately as ‘old Ver’, an abbreviation of his first name ‘Oliver’; this is the origin of the name given to the House and its occupants as ‘Verites’.